Boxing skills and their use in Self-Defense
Boxing is one of the oldest and well known of the Traditional” martial arts. Its a huge spectator sport in the modern world and was, at one time, something taught as the go-to self-defence in many countries. It was taught in school in the UK and in the United States and has a great tradition in Ireland whether in bare-knuckle boxing or gloved.
But how is boxing useful as Self-Defense in the modern world?
If you can make time to train in boxing technique, it can be very very useful when defending yourself, because,
- You train to develop concussive punching power
- Boxing sparring is one of the most realistic forms of sparring available
- In boxing, the emphasis is on training to improve speed and reflexes, crucial skills when you are under a violent attack
- The development of good footwork in boxing training helps with balance, evasion and creating counter strike angles
- Boxing training is one of the best ways to get fit